Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday

My pal Ron and I made it up to DeWitt today, but it wasn't for a bike ride to the Sunrise Cafe.  Still working on my golf handicap, we had to find an alternative venue this AM as Geneva had a corporate outing that closed the course to members until after lunch.  Springbrook is a decent little place on the outskirts of DeWitt.

Neither of us played very well, which is common for me on a course that I don't know very well.  But I did take $2 from my playing partner, which is never a bad result.  (A key rule in our golfing groups is that, its not about how much money you win, only that you win the money.) 

I seem to have finally got Hertz straightened out on my #1 Club membership.  It wasn't easy.  There was a call into the cue that Monday after we got back from Tahoe (which I gave up on after 10 minutes).  Then there were the two emails that I sent to their Customer Service address.  (Very sincere, automated responses were quickly received each time expressing how important I was to the company.)  Responses from a living person, of course, were not received.

On Friday, I decided that I needed to look into a car for a trip to Texas this Fall, so I gave the #1 Club phone number another shot.  I actually got through to a warm body (Asian/Indian accent) in a relatively short period of time, but her strengths did not include addressing non-reservation questions.  When I asked her to pass me on to someone who might be able to resolve my issue, she was very gracious...and put me in another cue whose automated monitor didn't even come on to tell me that my call was very important.

I made a command decision give up my spot on the endless loop and tried the call again, and when an operator (had to be sub-Continent) finally came on, I was pretty specific that their systems had entirely failed to respond to my concerns.  I do think that these types of service companies have agents trained to react to customers with obvious points.  And this gal did.  Which was to do nothing more than charge my credit card on file with the annual fee.

I have several corporate service things that have annual fees that are on auto-renewal.  Some notify you in advance that the annual charge will be made to your card, others don't.  I was really surprised that Hertz allowed this membership to expire without follow-up.  And the "My Account" screens on the Hertz website when I logged on gave no indication that a fee was due.  Very odd.  Whatever. 

The test will be whether my name will be on the Hertz #1 Club display board when I go to pick up my car in SAT in November.

(Hmmm.  That story was a little long, but I gotta say, Hertz has fumbled the ball at every juncture since my fully-successful, one-day rental in San Diego in May.  You pay a little more for Hertz, and I expect a little more in return.)

Rule #1 of Cycling has struck my pal Pete again!  He rode to work on Friday morning, stopping by Maplecrest at 0645 to compare schedules for the day.  We met briefly, and then both headed our separate ways, me in Margret to 1st Coffee.  The next thing I hear about Pete is a mid-morning text from a friend asking about a Facebook posting from Pete's Office Manager suggesting that he was at the hospital!

He subsequently told me that he had had  trouble getting out of his clips as he was slowing down for a turn on the bike path on Credit Island in West Davenport, and the next thing he knows, he's on the deck.  Ouch.  He was able to get to the office, but then figured out that his hand wasn't working right, so he called our orthopod friend, Doc Charlie C, and the rest is now history.  This pic must have come from @bcbison's phone while at the Emergency Room.  Local anesthesia.  Manual manipulation to straighten the finger.  Not cast, and no pins, but a splint on the middle finger of his left hand.  I need to get that boy to dial it back to a low roar.

Props to 1 for completing her 16-mile training run this AM.  You are Daughter of the Day. (I wanted a current photo and this cropped one was the easiest to get tonight.  Apologies to 1.01 for the editing exclusion!)  Once 2 and I start working on our TT training, we might get in 16 miles each week!

Lame night here in the 52722.  Thinking of 4 editing the overnight news in The Big Apple.  Be a star, Kiddo.

More here tomorrow after golf at Geneva.

BCOT

No comments: