Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday

We just had a "head-fake" rain shower.  The drive way under the BEATER is still dry.  But maybe its a start.  At least the heat has been elsewhere the last few days.

Here's a shock:  I kinda like Mitt's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate.  We at least now have one guy among the four Presidential and VP candidates who is not afraid to tell the truth.  I wonder if the Big O's campaign will now actually submit some alternative budgetary ideas, or be content to demonize Ryan as a Mediscare.  Let's face it, the reelection plan to this point has been a simple three-legged stool:  1) It's still Bush's fault; 2) Tax the rich, and 3) Romney's a felon.  All great ideas to get the economy back on track.

(I may have noted here earlier that I shook Ryan's hand in the MLI airport this Spring when I was returning from one of my trips and he was there to connect with Newt for some joint appearance.  I didn't exactly walk across the street to meet him, but I did make it a point to say hello as he was standing there in the gate area with an aide.)

The Olympics are mercifully over.  (They'll be over for NBC in a few hours.)  The current non-Dream Team had to dig a little to escape from the Spain and the Gasol brothers for the gold medal.  I watched zero of their games.  I give recognition to the guys who did show up to play, but I don't watch them much when they play their regular games in the NBA, and I'm certainly not going to watch them on tape-delay.  Who will they get to replace Coach K the next time around?

My golf game still sucks, but there is light in the distance, and I don't think that its another train on my track.  My two rounds this weekend gave me some hope, but I need to putt better.  For a bogey-golfer like me, you need to get "up and down" from around the green for a good score.  That means that you don't quite hit the green in the "regulation" number of shots, and you need a good chip/pitch with a single putt to get a par on a hole.  This skill only comes with practice.  Which means some range work this week for the Lt.

My Perfect Neighbor trapped a ground hog and a raccoon this past week.  He"s had a two-foot-tall chicken-wire fence around their garden each of the ;last several years to keep the rabbits at bay, but the bigger rodents have easily scaled that barrier.  Hence, the trap.  The raccoon was an unexpected capture, and the most raucous.  3 AM squealing on Thursday night/Friday morning.  What ever it takes to protect those tomatoes!


I admit to a visit to Kohl's this week for a couple more of the dry-fit golf shirts.  Only because I got one of the 30% coupons in my mail.  I mean, they have these nice shirts listed for $55.  (Does anyone actually pay list price?)  They discount it 50%, and then you take 30% off of that.  Hmmm.  What do they pay the poor seamstress in Sri Lanka to make it?

May get back here later.

BCOT

No comments: