Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday

Hard to believe, but we've had rain most of the day here today.  My pal Ron and I drove down to Geneva after coffee to test the validity of the shower-y forecast, and got drenched a couple of time for our trouble.  We initially tried a regular effort in a cart with a steady drizzle coming down, only to be chased back to the clubhouse by a steady downpour before we completed two holes.

We went back out after an hour when the precipitation was back to sprinkles, but we had to walk because the course was too wet for carts.  I just carried four clubs while He-man Ron toted his whole bag.  We did none holes, but it wasn't pretty.  I couldn't see with my glasses because of the refracted vision from rain drops on the lenses, and I couldn't see without them, because I can't see without them.  Ron won four bucks.  His psyche needed it.  Whatever.

I just heard my sump pump crank on for the first time in months.  Does that mean that the drought is over?  Pretty sure that I'll have to mow my yard this week as soon as things dry from this storm.  I haven't pulled a cord on the mower since June.

I've determined that my Year of Golf officially ends September 15th.  Handicaps are updated on the last day of the month and on the 15th of the month.  I should be able to get in 5-6 rounds in three weeks time.  We'll see if I get to a 12 by then.  Smart money is betting the Under (that I won't get there).

Hardly news, but I want to recognize Neil Armstrong here today.  The collection of intellects and brave souls who comprised our manned-space program merit all of the accolades that have been expressed this weekend.  I would definitely have walked across the street to meet this guy.

I had a call last week from a high school classmate to advise me that our class will gather for a 45-year reunion next month on a Saturday night in Ottumwa.  I think that I may go.  I don't see these folks much, and I don't think that I have much currently in common with many of them, but if they want to have a little get together, I'll play team-ball and go.  We can at least compare medical histories.

Kudo's to 3 and 3.1 for getting their thank-you's out to the wedding guests.  I've received several compliments from My Rowdy Friends for the personal touch shown on these cards.  Well done, Kiddo!

The NASCAR race last night at Bristol (short-track racin'), produced some video to embellish the NASCAR image in the general public.  Tony Stewart got into Matt Kenseth late in the race while both were tryinging for the lead, putting both of them into the wall and out of contention.  Stewart's car was disabled, and when Kenseth came back around, Tony executed a high-quality, two-handed helmet-toss, nailing Kenseth's car...and scoring perfect 10's with the judges!

In the For What Its Worth department, the night race at Bristol, last night's, is the one NASCAR race venue that I might actually attend one day.  It won't likely be happening in the next year or two, but its out there as a possible excursion.  Not a bucket list item.

One of the guys at coffee this AM noticed me paging through the Best Buy circular that had been in the paper and said, "If you're looking for something there, you'd better hurry."  This was in reference to the rough patch that Best Buy is encountering these days, and the difficulty that this "big box" retailer faces going forward.  Realistically, Best Buy's best days are behind it.  Swimming upstream against Internet rivals will last only so long.

Another guy commented that, when he was looking for an electronic item, he would go to look at that product at Best Buy, and then would go home and order it from another provider on the Internet.  For a better price and no tax.  I have no problem with that program.

But that reality flows to my belief that we should be looking at a fully-revised tax code that would largely go to a National consumption (sales) tax system that would also bring Internet purchases into the equation.  Get rid of all the deductions and special-interest provisions, lower the rate, broaden the base, and have everyone participate.  If Chief Justice Roberts can logic his way to the legality of Obamacare, we ought to be able to tip-toe a technical way to authorize an on-line tax protocol. 

It is apparently not politically correct with the collective Left to have everyone take a shift to pull the village wagon.  I disagree. We have too many folks on for the ride.  If you want that great 48" plasma-screen HDTV on sale this week, go for it.  But add in 5% for Uncle Sam. The same goes for that tank of gas, and that bargain spree with the 30% off coupon at Kohl's.

The bone to the Left to get there?  Maybe a continuation of a corporate tax on some simply-quantified level of income.  But something that doesn't require a squad of MBA's to define "is".  That's how we got to where we are today.  (And that's not ALL Bush's fault.)

I'll give a go at spending another time.  The spending side is beyond out-of-control.

So, enough for today.  Hope everyone has a good week.

BCOT


1 comment:

Patrick said...

Just wait until Rusty gets a Sprint Cup race at Newton. That will be some good racin' too!