Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday

Not a lot new on Maplecrest today.  Golf this AM in Muskie was successful to the extent that I extracted another dollar from my pal Ron, but neither of us met much of a standard.  My short game is not delivering the goods.  And I'm running out of time.

It looks like the latest fitness fad is "cross-fit".  Two new places have opened in the last few months in Bettendorf, one just accross the parking lot from Dunn's.  And that place is busy when I stop by for 1st Coffee before 0700.  Another, unrelated spot is over in Cumberland Square, across from the Middle School soccer field.  It looks like rowing machines and kettle bells are parts of these cross-fit programs.  What's old is new again.

Gold's had conducted similar "Boot Camp" sessions at different points in the year, usually with early morning classes that I would notice when I was there for oh-dark-hundred spin work.  I think that you need a strong goal to make the cross-fit or boot-camp commitment.  Just like I was not able to take the bit to really train for Mt. Rose this year, cross-fit looks like the Maplecrest Fit Club on steroids.  I'm sticking with the lower stress program for now.  2 and I will do our exercises when we start our TT training in the next couple of weeks.

One of the major stories in the weekend sports pages was MLB's new poster boy for drugs.  Some dude named Melky Cabrera from the Giants tested positive last week and was given a 50-game suspension.  The guy's stats this year were way above his averages and surely brought the eyes of the league's drug enforcement office.  It sounds like he tried to cover his tracks with a fake web-site.  Smart guy.  Does the team bear responsibility? 

Speaking of druggies, the indications are that Lance will be in an arbitration dog-fight with the US Ant-Doping Agency this Fall.  If ever there was a time when a judge should bury a case, this is it.

Finally, I see where NBC has pulled in the reins on The Tonight Show.  The story says that about 20 staffers were let go, and Leno took a pay cut to ease further pain.  Personally, I have little regard for the NBC family of networks.  I haven't watched Leno in years.  Same for their other daily shows.  As much as all of their networks pander to anything Left of Left, I wonder if there might be some new-found stimulus money out there to come to the rescue.  (Sorry, that just slipped out!)

All for today.  Have a good week.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: