Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday

The heat is back on in the QCA.  94 or thereabouts today.  Same on tap for tomorrow.  The humidity isn't so bad, but it still looks like an A/C night on Maplecrest.  I just don't sleep that well when the low stays in the 70 degree range until early AM.

This entry is coming to you from the deck in my back yard.  I don't have the picture thing mastered on this iPad, but I'll jump on the laptop before I go to bed and populate my text with some appropriate scenery/shots.  We all like pictures, eh?  And the little keyboard on the iPad is better (or at least less-frustrating) than the the keyboard on the laptop.  When I sit on my couch with the laptop, I use a full keyboard that I plug into a USB port.  This iPad keyboard is wireless/Bluetooth.

I'm making 2 Daughter of the Day.  She's got some challenges ahead of her at the museum.  The set-up there is going through some transition with the new Director, and 2 ends up with the typical political issues that arise when an administration goes through a major change.  I think that it may even be worse in the not-for-profit world than in regular politics or on the corporate ladder.  You need to watch your six, Kiddo.  There are frenemies out there!  (A favorite pic from the coliseum in Verona!)

We had a much-delayed debriefing with our IT company today on the system conversion that we labored through last Winter.  At this point, the issues have diminished to a reasonable level, but both sides acknowledge that any future major IT project will be handled with an entirely different protocol.  The IT company has hired more people and changed their model some to address things, but it is an evolving process.  Kinda like the social media business: whatever is a hit today, will be toast in the non-too-distant future. Technology companies must constantly address the "next" iteration.

When I started my own business in 1982, I didn't own a single computer.  I did client work on accountant's columnar paper.  Tax returns were out-sourced (just like Bain!).  Then when I did buy my first computer, it cost about $8,000 and had the processing power of maybe 10% of my iPhone!!!!  I'm guessing that our next step will be toward the cloud, where we keep very little paper files in our office, and utilize the servers at an unknown, secure location.

(So I had to head inside when darkness came in and the bugs started to flock to the screen on the iPad.  Technology can only do so much!)

The local high school football season started tonight with a game at Brady Stadium.  August 23rd.  Hmmm.  Cool crisp Fall evenings.  Uh, not so much.  (Those nights from 20-25 years ago when we would go over to Brady games remain a great memory for me.)

Cousin Peter T is quoted in the current story on the Mars rover's first test drive.  Impressive.  We have good genes in the fam.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/story/2012-08-23/mars-curiosity/57234794/1

Really not a lot to add here.  Nothing like a little Prince Henry frolic going on here on Maplecrest.

Make it a Good Friday.

BCOT

No comments: